21 Day Fix on the Vacation: Staying on Track While Traveling
When it comes to maintaining healthy habits, nothing can derail your efforts faster than a vacation. You’re faced with temptation everywhere, and it seems impossible to stick to your healthy routine. It doesn’t have to be that way! Don’t let those days away undo all your hard work. Before you leave home, prepare yourself, plan ahead, and read these tips on how to stick to a the 21 Day Fix while on vacation:
Pack as many portable snacks as you can. Review the 21 Day Foods List to see which ones work best for you. Colored ziplock bags from Target work well so you know which containers correspond with each snack. Nuts, whole grain crackers, homemade protein bars, individual sized oatmeal packets, fruit, cut veggies, mozzarella sticks and of course Shakeology packets are great things to bring with you in an insulated cooler. Don’t forget water! Freeze it so it can help keep other things cool.
- Call ahead to see if your hotel has a refrigerator. Even if it doesn’t, you can often request one to be brought to your room. Bring along healthy breakfast items, Shakeology, snacks and lunches so you can eat at least one healthy meal a day in your room.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water during the day and especially before you go out to eat.
- “Pre-eat” before going out for a high-fat meal. With a little food in your stomach, you’ll be less tempted to overeat and will be able to exercise more control.
- Go easy on the alcohol and other calorie-laden beverages. If you’re out drinking, order a large glass of water too. Alternate one alcoholic beverage for one glass of water if you’re going to be having more than one. Remember, the 21 Day Fix allows for one glass of wine three times a week (your “special” yellow containers).
- Plan your cheat meal ahead of time. One of my favorite things about traveling is trying new and different foods. Plan ahead so you know when this meal will be, and enjoy it to the fullest!
- Don’t let your blood sugar dip too low. Pack healthy snacks like homemade protein bars and Shakeology packets.
- I don’t always have time to make my own protein bars, but I do know which protein bars are the best. Trust me, they’re not all created equally! Read this protein bar comparison before you shop.
- Look at the menu online and choose something healthy before you arrive. That way, you won’t be tempted by all the great smells and order something you shouldn’t.
- Order what you want, even if it’s not on the menu. If the ingredients are on the menu, chances are the cook can make something to your specification even if it’s not listed. Don’t be afraid to request what you want.
- Whittle calories off what you order: Skip the bun on a burger, order grilled instead of fried, and ask to have sauces, dressings and gravies served on the side, opt for steamed veggies instead of fries.
- If you do order something less than healthy, go easy on the portion size. Eat half now, save half for later. Or, split it with a friend or family member.
- Be careful with appetizers. Often, they’re loaded with fat and contain 1000 calories or more. Side dishes too – instead of mashed potatoes or fries, order the salad with dressing on the side.
- Often, menus will have icons next to meals indicating that they are a healthy or low-calorie choice. Look for those.
- Pack your 21 Day Fix workout videos and play them on your laptop
- Or, take advantage of Beachbody on Demand! It’s now available to all Club Members on mobile devices and computers. Focus on workouts that don’t require equipment. My go-to workouts are PiYo, Cardio Fix (21 Day Fix), and Ab Ripper X (P90X). There are also several from Brazil Butt Lift that don’t require equipment.
- Sometimes despite your best efforts you’re still going to take in more calories on vacation. That’s OK – as long as you can make up for it with exercise. Use an app like MyFitnessPal to track calories and calories out. Even if you don’t do the 21 Day Fix videos, it’s important to stay active.
- Stay active like the locals do – look up running/hiking trails, spots where you can rent bikes, kayaks, or other fun fitness “toys” – and make activity part of your getaway. I even ran a local race in Seattle – I was a Seahawks fan for a day!
Stay motivated and check in with your 21 Day Fix accountability group while you’re away. We want to live vicariously through you, celebrate your victories and have fun right along with you!
Related: Here’s where I usually get tickets online – https://www.aerobell.com/costa-rica-domestic-flights/.