When it comes to eating right and working out, having a plan in place will DEFINITELY help you succeed. I also know that if it doesn’t involve fun, good food and a little bit of alcohol once in a while it ain’t gonna work for me!
Lately, a lot of my friends have been asking what I’m doing to stay in shape. It’s not rocket science. It’s being GOOD 80% of the time, and allowing yourself to have fun the remaining 20%. Below, I’ll tell you a little bit more about what I’m doing this week to stay on track…. proof that don’t have to be perfect to be fit (I love the 80/20 rule because it allows me my guilty pleasures while I work on “being good” the rest of the time!).
Most of you who know me KNOW that I’m not willing to forgo good food or wine to stay in shape. So, I include them in my plans as well. I also schedule my cheat meals (which are usually when I eat out. I order whatever I want). I’m also known to have more than one glass of wine or beer, and I don’t beat myself up over it either. Life was meant to be lived. HOWEVER – when I DO indulge, I am quick to work it off the next day. Often, that’s why I work out 7 days a week instead of taking a day off with an additional light workout at home using the best EZ curl bar and a few kettlebell weights. I need to burn off my guilty pleasures! If you’re not a “bad girl” like I am, you won’t have to work out as hard. It’s all about balance. If you have trouble with that, I highly recommend an app like MyFitnessPal to track calories in and calories out.
I LOVE the Beachbody workouts but I’m not always diligent about sticking to one program (I get bored like that). I also love the social aspect of hitting the gym. I work out with some great guys at Snap Fitness who would miss me (I think they would, anyway…) if I started working out solely at home. Oh, who am I kidding? I’d probably miss them more than they’d miss me! That’s them pictured to the right. That the YOUNG half of the crew. The other guys are senior citizens. No joke. They’re the BEST! If they can hit the gym every day, so can you!!
Right now I’m doing a hybrid of cardio at the gym mixed with workouts from the 21 Day Fix and P90X. I try to alternate working out upper/lower body whenever possible. I get bored easily, so this plan works for me. It’s important for you to find workouts you ENJOY. If you don’t, you won’t stick to your routine. Find a new one. I don’t always stick to the plan, but overall everything evens out. If I overeat one day, I’ll work out a little bit more the next. I do try to maintain a good balance.
The spreadsheet below is a simple spreadsheet that I created in Google Docs. Nothing complicated. I print it out and keep it in the kitchen, because that’s where my meal planning and prep takes place. Also, the kidlets can see it and know what I’m planning for dinner.
Meal Planning and Prep
Prepping as much as you can ahead of time will help you stick to your schedule. Cooking and freezing, big batch cooking, and containerizing foods really help. I like yummy food, but as you can see I am a meal “repeater” and often eat leftovers. That way, I don’t have to cook for each meal. For me, big batches are the name of the game. I pick 3-4 meals to make each week then I prepare enough for me to have as leftovers for lunches. My breakfast every day is some variation of Shakeology. I love it with fruit, mainly. You don’t have to get all fancy-schmancy when it comes to meal planning. Do what works for YOU.
Some of my favorite recipes:
- Asian Meatball Bowls
- Chipotle Bowls
- Cauliflower Crust Pizza with Goat Cheese and Spinach
- Shakeology Recipes
I check in daily with my Online Challenge Groups. These girls (and the occasional GUY) help me feel like I have to be a good example to them. I also help provide real-life advice on how to stay on track amidst challenges and temptations like chocolate cake, Moscato wine, and just plain feeling LAZY. That really helps ALL of us! I host a new online fitness challenge group every three weeks. I have another group starting soon, but space is limited – so if you’re interested APPLY HERE.