If you’re like me, the weekends present a myriad of challenges. BE STRONG. Don’t let the weekends undo all the progress you made over the week. Look at the weekend as an OPPORTUNITY to get ahead with your goals instead of putting you behind. Challenge yourself to not only stay on track, but do a little extra; whether it’s an additional workout or activity or spending more time on your personal development. Here are some tips for those of you who will be away from home and breaking from routine:
Pack as many portable snacks as you can. Review the 21 Day Foods List to see which ones work best for you. Colored ziplock bags from Target work well so you know which containers correspond with each snack. Nuts, whole grain crackers, homemade protein bars, individual sized oatmeal packets, fruit, cut veggies, mozzarella sticks and of course Shakeology packets are great things to bring with you in an insulated cooler. Don’t forget water! Freeze it so it can help keep other things cool.
Healthy Eating Away From Home
- If attending a potluck, bring a healthy option
- If traveling, call ahead to see if your hotel has a refrigerator. Even if it doesn’t, you can often request one to be brought to your room. Bring along healthy breakfast items, snacks and lunches so you can eat at least one healthy meal a day in your room.
- If hiking or hunting, check out these AR-10 upper’s.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water during the day and especially before you go out to eat or attend parties.
- “Pre-eat” before going out for a high-fat meal. With a little food in your stomach, you’ll be less tempted to overeat and will be able to exercise more control.
- Go easy on the alcohol and other calorie-laden beverages. If you’re out drinking, order a large glass of water too. Alternate one alcoholic beverage for one glass of water if you’re going to be having more than one. Remember, the 21 Day Fix allows for one glass of wine three times a week (your “special” yellow containers).
- Plan your cheat meal ahead of time. One of my favorite things about traveling is trying new and different foods. Plan ahead so you know when this meal will be, and enjoy it to the fullest!
- Don’t let your blood sugar dip too low. Pack healthy snacks like homemade protein bars and Shakeology packets if away from home.
- I don’t always have time to make my own protein bars, but I do know which protein bars are the best. Trust me, they’re not all created equally! Read this protein bar comparison before you shop.
- Look at the menu online and choose something healthy before you arrive. That way, you won’t be tempted by all the great smells and order something you shouldn’t.
- Order what you want, even if it’s not on the menu. If the ingredients are on the menu, chances are the cook can make something to your specification even if it’s not listed. Don’t be afraid to request what you want.
- Whittle calories off what you order: Skip the bun on a burger, order grilled instead of fried, and ask to have sauces, dressings and gravies served on the side, opt for steamed veggies instead of fries.
- If you do order something less than healthy, go easy on the portion size. Eat half now, save half for later. Or, split it with a friend or family member.
- Be careful with appetizers. Often, they’re loaded with fat and contain 1000 calories or more. Side dishes too – instead of mashed potatoes or fries, order the salad with dressing on the side.
- Often, menus will have icons next to meals indicating that they are a healthy or low-calorie choice. Look for those.
- Pack your workout videos and play them on your laptop if you’re away from home
- Or, take advantage of Beachbody on Demand! It’s now available to all Club Members on mobile devices and computers.
- Sometimes despite your best efforts you’re still going to take in more calories on the weekends. That’s OK – as long as you can make up for it with exercise. The trouble is, most “cheat” meals require hours of exercise to undo. Use an app like MyFitnessPal to track calories and calories out.
- Find new running/hiking trails, spots where you can bike, kayak or participate in other fun fitness activities.