Ways to Keep Fleas Off Your Pets This Summer
At Keep Doggie Safe.com, we strive to keep you and your dog safe all year round. When summer comes around, that includes keeping fleas and ticks off of your dog. First, a little background: Fleas flourish in temperatures of 65 to 80 degrees and humidity of 75 to 85 percent. For some of us, that means it’s flea season all year round. For others, it’s flea season in the summer. See the map on our site to see how long flea season lasts in your area of the country. During flea season, fleas can lay up to 28 eggs in a day on your pet. Eggs either stay on your pet or fall off and grow wherever they land. Eggs take from 10 days to 200 days to hatch. Once they do, they live for an average of six weeks. The only way to get rid of them is to either kill them or pick them off. For every adult flea on your pet, figure on ten more that you aren’t seeing. Here are six ways to keep your pet free of fleas:
- Get a flea comb and comb your pet regularly. Examine the droppings on a light colored towel and flush it down the toilet when you are done. This is the best way in how to get rid of fleas on cats.
- Give your dog a bath regularly using a safe shampoo. This will eliminate lots of fleas and their eggs.
- Vacuum your house regularly and discard the bag outside the house. You will pick up lots of fleas and their eggs. Better to put them in the trash.
- Wash all of your pet’s bedding at least weekly. This also eliminates fleas and flea eggs.
- Pick a safe flea control product for your pets. There is a great directory of products with ratings for their safety here.
- Consider some of the safe products that we are offering. We believe strongly in natural remedies and are only offering products that we believe are safe for your dog. For example the Insect Shield Products, uses permethrin a man-made derivative of chrysanthemum flower extract. Permethrin has been used in flea shampoos for dogs for many years.